Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

GMOs in Certified Organic Food.


So I have found out something very disturbing today. As you might know I buy all Organic. I do this because "I thought" it was GMO free. Little did I know I was wrong. Thanks to a great reader ,Teresa, it was brought to my attention. I did some research and this is what I discovered. The USDA and Organic Trade Association require no GMOs in the product to be considered Organic. But the problem is, is that the organic crops are getting contaminated by nearby GMO fields. This means that our Organic, Non-GMO could actually be full of or have GMOs in them.
So what do you do now?
Well there is hope. My biggest recommendation is shop locally know first hand what you are getting. Search for organic farms or ever talk to the Amish community if that is possible. But the second best things is what I found the site is nongmoproject.org This company as explained on there website, "is a Non-profit multi-stakeholder( multi-stakeholder-persongroup or organization that has interest or concern in an organization. Stakeholders can affect or be affected by the organization's actionsobjectives and policies.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/stakeholder.html#ixzz2AKlF6qrJ) collaboration committed to preserving and building sources of non-GMO products..." Instead of having to believe the FDA, USDA, and Organic Trade Association we have the Non-GMO project. They test products and either verify or deny a product of being Non-GMO. They also have a Free App.
 This app can go with you on your smart phone in the grocery store. It offers knowledge about Products, Brands, and Supporting Retailers that they have tested and approved Non-GMO. Some Supporting Retaliers even put up signs as shown 


I hope this helps we are that much closer to a change!:)
Until next time
-Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you
Tori<3