Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

GMOs Explained




How did I discover GMOs?

Hello All!I wanted to take a minute and explain why we chose to go organic. It actually was not that long ago probably about a month ago and we are working through this change to see what we like and do not like. One day I was at work talking to our brew master, Matt. We started talking about eating healthy and how it affects your body when you do not. He also introduced me to Genetically Modified Organisms or better known as GMOs. It was like a whirl wind I was so confused what are these things, is this true? I came home and did some research about what GMOs were? Well to my discovery GMOs were about to turn my world upside down.

What Are GMOs?

So instead of explaining what a GMO is in my words I want you to see the true hard facts. This is a video by Jeffery Smith  who is The leading consumer advocate promoting healthier non-GMO choices, Jeffrey M. Smith, is the author of the world's bestselling and #1 rated book on the health dangers genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
When and if you have time watch this video. The most important information is in mostly the first fourteen minutes. But if you have time I encourage you to listen to the whole thing. I just turned it on while I was cooking since it was so long. Just an idea. I am not a big reader so I prefer videos.
 Here a link to Jeffery Smiths website to understand who he.



Some information from a study by Ohio State University.

A genetically modified organism (GMO) is an organism whose genetic structure has been altered by incorporating a gene that will express a desirable trait, often termed gene splicing. Most often the transferred gene allows the organism to express a trait that will add to its desirability to producers or consumers of the end product. For example, the first food produced from gene splicing and evaluated by the FDA was the Flavr Savr Tomato. Tomatoes generally get softer as they ripen because of a protein in the tomato that breaks down the cell walls of the tomato, which makes it difficult to transport a quality ripe tomato across the country. The Flavr SavrTomato had a gene spliced into its DNA to prevent the breakdown of the tomatoes’ cell walls. The result of the incorporation of the new gene is a firm ripe tomato for consumers on store shelves. Ohio State University Study


How do GMOS affect us?

This is my favorite video by far! Please watch...

IN WAY TO MANY WAYS! Here are some articles for you to glance over.  What GMOs do to your body
If you really have time this is the most amazing site I have found so far. Its hard actual facts no questions!! They are asking the big guys who are in charge and in control of these things at the FDA. Monsanto History

Now what do I do?:

And please understand I do not wish to make you believe in this. I just want you see what is going on and make your own decisions after seeing the facts.  And if you are overwhelmed after reading this trust me I understand. I about cried when I watched all these videos. I was a junk food kind of girl all carbs, sugars, salts, and fats(not the good ones). It takes time to convert your diet. I am very cheap so we ate  at least half the GMO filled food in our home. Yet when we went to the grocery store we made sure it was organic or non-GMO when we put it in the cart. This is difficult and a big change. But the best thing about eating differently you feel so much better, lose weight, and it actually tastes better than regular GMO food. It is so sweet and tasty and doesn't need extra toppings and unhealthy condiments. I literally use to eat ranch dressing on everything I mean EVERYTHING! Eggs, corn, pizza and not just the crust, steak, mash potatoes it's actually pretty gross looking back. Now I can literally eat these things and enjoy their tastes without the ranch and its nice. I save the calories and fat, plus do you know how many places don't have ranch or don't serve a good brand let me just tell you not many. So  trust me if I can do it I believe you can too. You can do anything you put your mind to, you are the only one standing in your way.

 If you are worried about money here are some options. Trader Joes is cheaper than giant just regular food! In the MD-DC-VA area a banana costs 69 cents and some times on sale for 50 cents an organic banana is 99 cents. At Trader Joes  it costs 19 cents for regular and 29 cents for organic!  So as you can see it is a big difference. Also I spend for the two of us about $100 a week give or take. What can I say we spoil ourselves:).  That is the average amount of money a family spends a week on grocery's and organic I know this is crazy to hear but organic is not that much more!! If you shop at the right places and read your labels and compare prices you will be fine. In the beginning of this adventure I was talking to a very wise woman ,my grandmother better know as MEME, complaining about how expensive this lifestyle was going to be. She said to me Tori you can either pay now or pay later. And that really hit me. I can pay an extra 15-20 a week or every two weeks now or later I can have cancer, reproductive problems, high blood pressure, heart disease, intestinal problems, diabetes, enormous amount of allergies. Is that worth it No way!! I believe anyone would pay any amount of money to not lose a loved one to a diseases or cancer or to just have a child of their own. Just a thought....   If you got through this hole post I commend you because it was so longgg!


Thanks for listening. Until next time

-Tori.

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you
Tori<3