Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

Eating on a Budget



I started us on a meal plan. Everything is strategically plan out and not wasted. I know what we are having every night for dinner breakfast and lunches. This allows no waste or overbuying of food (which we do to much of). I have only $100 a week to feed the two of us. I have an envelope for each week. That's all I can pay for the groceries with. I have no overage. I make sure to keep a running list of prices while in the store. 
I posted more about our budget here. 

Ideas to save money.



  1. Farmers markets- they are cheap and so tasty and support the local economy 
  2. CSA-Community Supported Agriculture. Farm fresh food paid for in advanced and you receive a box for a family of four weekly. $300 for a six month supply =equals $50 a month =$12.50 a week. This is for a great amount of organic food.
  3. Cook for whats in season. Change up your recipes for whats cheap and growing in bulk
  4. Start a garden!
  5. Can, can, can. Buy things in bulk from your local farmer and then can it. Use it all year long.
  6. If you have anything leftover use them as next days lunch 
  7. Take the leftovers and freeze it for a later meals or easy days you don't feel like cooking. I try to make more then we need for a dinner for the leftovers or another meal
  8. Expand your diet
  9. Add in new foods and take out the processed its cheaper that way
  10. Make everything from scratch, its fun, cheaper, and you know what your feeding your family.
  11. Eat VENISON. I know I know. But this is the healthiest option possible. Way better then a cow standing knee deep in poop. At least the deer are healthy and wild. It equals about $1 a pound (organic is usually 9.99 a pound). Its wild game thats what we should be eating 
  12. Get chickens if you can this one is a long shot but hey I thought it was worth putting in. 
  13. Have a good outlook on this new adventure. Think of it as fun.
  14. Play on pinterest and get ideas. It gives you a great excuse. 
  15. Plan meals with like foods so you can buy in bulk and use for multiple dishes. Like rice make one big batch and it saves you for having to make it the rest of the week. 
  16. Meat is expensive try to go light on it or go meatless a couple nights. Make veggies the main star of your meal.
Here is our weekly food plan and my grocery list.




What ideas do you have for meal planning? Do you have any other ideas on how to save on a budget?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you
Tori<3